 Off-Topic / Debate / 21336
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:14:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   We live in a society, and as such, if we wish to remain in it, we agree to follow its rules. As regards a license vice a permit, that is semantics and I don’t want to go there- as far as I am concerned, as long as it can be revoked, then it is fine. If you get charged with using your guns for holding up banks, or old ladies on the street corner, then they can take the (paperwork) away, and your guns too. You’ve forfited your “right” to ownership due to your irresponsibility with them.

Do you honestly beleive that a criminal is using a registered gun in the first place? By the way, just a little history for you: Registered gun oweners were the first group of Jews rounded up by the Nazis. By the time they realized what was happening and could have fought back, most of the gun owners were already in concentration camps.

The greatest threat to freedom is not from the occasional random crazy individual (which one is never going to stop anyway) as you seem to think, but from those that make and enforce the so called “laws.” I don’t trust a police officer to have a gun anymore than I trust your average person off the street. If I have one too, then at least we are on equal terms. As far as an F-16 dropping a cluster bomb on my house, well if several million people didn’t start shooting politicians for that, I would be very surprised. That’s why they won’t do that.

You ask *any* politician--“Hey Mr. ‘We voted you in’, do you worry that when you make bad decisions in office you will probably get shot *because of* your bad decisions?”

I think Mr Politician is more worried about his walking around in public, a la Kennedy, which has nothing to do with passing bad laws--the idea that you can peg off *anyone* from a hole in a trunk 150 feet away...

Your reasoning is obtuse. “We have guns to enforce the peace!” Well, other countries have *greater* peace and yet, with that, less guns. Stop with the fuzzy Hestonesque gun-speak and deal with the actual issue--less guns equals less deaths by guns. Guns in ‘law abiding citizens can hand have ended up in the hands of non-law abiding citizens. If the gun wasn’t there to begin with, it never would have got on teh black market.

Dave K

-Mike Petrucelli