 Off-Topic / Debate / 21327
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:40:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell wrote:
   So, you should have to register your gun, and you should have to pass a test to be able to use it before you are allowed to do so. That is NO DIFFERENT than with your car.

At least some disagreement here...

I don’t want to ever register the weapon.

I should have to show at least some proficiency, but not to an excessive degree. Societal interest is such that I should show that I am not a danger when using a gun, but no more should be expected. Some kind of “certificate of proficiency” is enough, no license thanks -- it’s still a right and a duty, not a privilege. To take away the right, the govt. should have to show gross ineptitude on the part of the would-be gun user.

I am still not that happy about the whole driver’s “license” thing -- I still insist that I have the right to travel by modern conveyance in order to conduct my personal and business affairs. As above, I think a showing of a certain basic proficiency is all that society should expect of me -- not a license, not a thing that ties me into an agreement with all kinds of nonsense including the sacrifice of my civil rights just to drive a car.

-- Hop-Frog