 Off-Topic / Debate / 21328
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:56:04 GMT

   At least some disagreement here...

I don’t want to ever register the weapon.

I should have to show at least some proficiency, but not to an excessive degree. Societal interest is such that I should show that I am not a danger when using a gun, but no more should be expected. Some kind of “certificate of proficiency” is enough, no license thanks -- it’s still a right and a duty, not a privilege. To take away the right, the govt. should have to show gross ineptitude on the part of the would-be gun user.

I am still not that happy about the whole driver’s “license” thing -- I still insist that I have the right to travel by modern conveyance in order to conduct my personal and business affairs. As above, I think a showing of a certain basic proficiency is all that society should expect of me -- not a license, not a thing that ties me into an agreement with all kinds of nonsense including the sacrifice of my civil rights just to drive a car.

Ah, yes. But you are in the minority, at least as far as some countries go. (example being Canada). You do follow the law with regards to your car right? I assume (if you drive, not sure that you do, since I don’t), that you have a license, and insurance, and a plate for it? How is this different than a gun?

Mind you, just to confuse you further, I don’t think that there is any real requirement to register long rifles, because they are NOT involved in most incidents (meaning bolt action or pump, non semi auto fire or greater weapons). Handguns & semi auto+ are intended for use against humans, and as such, I think require a higher standard of care than with a rifle that is “intended” to be used for hunting animals. A license to posess any number, sure. But registering long’s seems pointless to me. (kind of like registering a junker down the back that might start & run, but isn’t going to do more than 20km/h except down a cliff)

We live in a society, and as such, if we wish to remain in it, we agree to follow its rules. As regards a license vice a permit, that is semantics and I don’t want to go there- as far as I am concerned, as long as it can be revoked, then it is fine. If you get charged with using your guns for holding up banks, or old ladies on the street corner, then they can take the (paperwork) away, and your guns too. You’ve forfited your “right” to ownership due to your irresponsibility with them.

James