 Off-Topic / Debate / 21323
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:57:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Besides, Gun Control is not about crime it is about Government control over the people. It is just another piece of the puzzle.

I agree entirely. That’s why I never get into the statistics of it with people.

The point is: gun control would only control the law abiding. Criminals are by definition scofflaws, and they don’t care about your stinking gun control laws.

Who are you trying to control? The perfectly decent neighbor across the way?

As a latino I warn others of what happens when good people lose the ability to defend themselves against their own government. I know too many decent people that have suffered absolute atrocities in South America to EVER think that gun control is a good idea.

Well, I DON’T know too many who have suffered at the hands of the Canadian Government. Perhaps a change in country?

It comes down to trust in your government. If you honestly believe that a group of civvies can stand up to any reasonable army, you are kidding yourself.

In fact, just look at Iraq. Do you think that American Civvies would have done any better against the US forces?

The argments in favor of the 2nd amendment might have made sense back when the high tech weapon was a smoothbore musket, but they don’t make a lot of sense when the high tech weapon is a G11 or a M2 (both of which are illegal in civilian hands anyway...). By having gun control legislation, you are limiting the access to the guns to the criminals as well- by law here, you have to present your licence (PAL/PO/Northern Resident Status) to buy ammo. So, either you steal it (which is a crime- and can then be delt with via those ever so pesky donut eating cops you seem to think are only good for chasing people after crimes), or you have a ligitimate license to buy it. By limiting the ownership of firearms to “responsible” people, you limit the number of people who go up towers and start plinking, or go to schools and start killing...(1)

James Powell (1) And yes, I do know about Marc Lepin(?) and the OCP guy...