 Off-Topic / Debate / 21290
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:30:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

Seriously though we need to keep this whole "high crime rate in
the US" thing is perspective. A person more likely to be killed in a car
accident on their way to work then they are to be robbed by an armed
criminal and live through it. (And armed robbery is far more frequent than
actually being killed by a criminal.)

  That may be so, but so what?  The fact remains that gun-homicide rates are
shockingly high in the US (with its relatively loose gun control laws) as
compared with other nations (some of which have relatively tight gun control
laws).  Relative to other nations, the US gun-homicide rates *is* high,
objectively speaking.

That has always been the case regardless of the other countries Gun Control
laws.

  Then you need to pick a side to stand on.  Are you saying that increased gun
control *does* lead to an increased crimerate, or are you saying that increased
gun control is irrelevant to an increased crimerate?  If the former, then your
statement invalidates itself.  If the latter, then your statement invalidates
your prior arguments in this thread.  Which is it?

You are absolutely right Dave! The statistics do not show any positive or
negative one way or the other for or against gun control. The funny thing is
that only further increases my belief that gun control is all about Government
control over civilians.

Gun Control is not about crime it is about Government
control over the people. It is just another piece of the puzzle.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=21135

  That may be your belief, but the post to which you've linked is pure
witnessing rather than argument, except as anecdotal (and therefore non-useful)
evidence.  In any case, small-arms fire is irrelevant to a concerted modern
military as anything except an annoyance.  Sure, it's tragic that a marine was
killed by a sniper, but the overall objective is not really affected.  Ask David
Koresh how useful his small-arms weaponry was against the ATF.  Then ask Randy
Weaver how useful his small-arms weaponry was.

How about we ask the PLO, or the IRA.

  There are those who advocate full freedom of ownership of any military-grade
weaponry for all citizens, including tanks, nukes, battleships, and
what-have-you. But once that point is made, I consider the argument to have left
the bounds of reason.

Really? As per the US constitution it was intended that the Government not have
any weapons and that the citizens were the military in the form of a
self-regulated militia.

-Mike Petrucelli