 Off-Topic / Debate / 21064
Re: Shrub's Economy (The Gladhand of Death)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 00:43:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Bush’s reckless economics
By Robert Kuttner, 6/4/2003

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/155/oped/Bush_s_reckless_economicsP.shtml

IT’S EASY to understand why the administration is plowing ahead with one immense tax cut after another. The Bush people oppose social outlays, and the best strategy for cutting public services is to starve government.

It’s a neat game: Cut taxes on the Republican watch (Reagan, Bush I), force intervening Democratic presidents to opt for fiscal prudence over social investment - someone has to - and then, when the budget is back in balance at a lower level of social outlay, do it again (Bush II).

This guy is on the right track, he just misses the correct conclusion. Yes the best way to shrink this hulking giant of a government is to starve it via tax cuts. Problem is congressmen on both sides of the aisle are scared to make the large scale cuts to the budget we need. Tax cuts are great, but what is with these sunset or phased in cuts? I want real tax relief now!

Froggy was spot on when he said that we get a horrible return on our tax dollars, the government is horribly inefficient. How about this for a novel idea, get the public sector completely out of welfare, education, the arts, health care, so-so security, and all the other things that are not allowed for in the constitution. It’s our faults though, we all keep electing these kleptomaniacs who just cannot get their hands out of our wallets. GWB’s tiny tax cut is nice, but I want to see some real fiscal restraint out of these clowns in DC. Republicans can no longer blame the extravagence of the Democrats, they run the show now, they have the power to cut, but they won’t.

The Enronization Of Public Policy
Arianna Huffington
Filed June 4, 2003

And would you stop quoting Arianna Huffington, I don’t see anyone else bringing in quotes from hardcore right wing ideologues like Limbaugh, Hannity, or (my personal favorite) Larry Elder.

Scott