 Off-Topic / Debate / 2103
2102  |  2104
Subject:
Disparicies in Sentencing WAS:(Misperceptions of America)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:40:47 GMT

Due to Larry's e-mail, and others confusion in this issue, here is where I
stand.

1) If there is (I have seen a few, going either way) inconsistencies in
sentencing, based on color, there should be none. I favor reform in terms of
sentencing everyone to the same punishment. (Do the crime, do the time)

2) I do not favor discriminating against anyone, black or white, male or female,
natural origin, etc. I do not favor any program, which openly discriminates
against anybody, whether it is affirmative action, or sentencing, as the debate
is now.

3) I do not favor giving lesser sentences simply because of race. If you are a
convicted white male guilty of 1st degree murder, you should get the sentencing
in the law. (I.E. Death) If you are a black male, found guilty of 1st degree
murder, you should get the sentence stated in the law (I.E. Death).

Some of this debate got mixed up into percentages of black and white criminals
in the justice system (Or the percentage of black versus white criminals), which
I do not care about, simply because they are there for a reason. If the police
target a certain race or whatever, rather than going after anyone, that is
another matter. There will never be a perfect world, there will never be equal
numbers of criminals, and there will never be 100% accurate anything, outside of
counting.

If there are questions regarding this matter, please feel free to ask. I hope I
have clarified my position. Now I am going back to something enjoyable, working
on my LEGO page.

Scott S.

--
Scott E. Sanburn
CADD Operator, CADD Systems Administrator

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/index.html
Lego Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/legoindex.html

“The more people I meet, the more I like my Lego collection.”