 Off-Topic / Debate / 2099
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:40:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:
  OK, your original point was to show that morally we could decide which
person deserved the bread, and I pointed out that it is very hard, with that
example to determine who is morally superior, and that in any hypothetical
or real situation, it will be impossible to determine one person who is
morally superior, unless there is an ultimate uniform code of morals to
judge by.

My original point was to figure out your stance on morality. Your initial posts
seemed rather ignorant of charity, and focused on justice solely. More
specifically, on consequences of actions. Anyway, yeah, the point modified
itself.

So, it deviated a little, but I still made my point which I tried
to make over the course of at least three posts.  You tried to bring the
different aspects (charity and justice) of morality into it, but I say
charity doesn't have anything to do with it, and neither does justice unless
you have one true moral to judge by.  IMO, that true moral won't contain
charity, charity is something of itself, that comes later, in people's
hearts, but not in a moral code used for judging people's actions.  I still
say the moral code will be emotionless, and thus can't contain charity,
which does stem from emotion.

Here, fine; we disagree. I'd say that charity fits into morality, you don't. No
problem. Just a difference of opinion so far.

Personally, I'd rather be a moral person who is comfortable, regardless of
how people view me.  Is that what you wanted to hear?  Is that impossible?
No.  I don't know exactly what you were trying to find there.

Well, yes; but that was more of a sidetrack from the original idea about
goodness based on consequence. If you were a 'consequentialist' you'd probably
want to be immoral and rich, well liked, etc., rather than be moral, poor, and
hated. At any rate, I think the area has been covered. I don't really think
you're a straight 'consequentialist'. Mute point.

  Oh, OK.  I agree with that part.  Public opinion is not a good way to
judge morality (or many other things).  That could change some day, if the
public ever becomes more than a mindless mob, which would be good.

I heartily agree. Again, stale point.

  You asked why is it wrong to steal again.  Because it is, OK.  It
violates another person's right to his property.  It violates his rights.
You want fries with that?

AHA! You're acknowledging rights. That's the point I was trying to get you to,
again, because earlier you were saying that it was wrong to steal because
someone gets hurt; now you're saying it's inherently wrong because it violates
one's right of property. I had suspected that you MEANT this answer before, but
just weren't saying it. So I've been trying to figure out whether you recognize
rights or not. Hence all the examples. You recognize rights. Cool. Now we just
need to define their origin.

  As stated above, I don't think charity is a part of morality.  Thus you
can't judge charitable acts the way you are trying to - on a moral scale.
Its an emotional thing, that is up to the sole discretion of the person
doing the charitable act.  He knows he can not feed every starving person in
the world, and can choose in whatever way he prefers to help whomever he
wants.  It is his own property to do with as he pleases, and morally, he is
not responsible to give to one or either group.  Nobody can pass judgement
on that.  I guess I should have said that before.

No problem. Again, we just disagree.

  OK, I said I did not acknowledge that emotions are part of morality or
rights.  I believe the purpose of morals is to protect people's rights,
which both come from logic.  We have rights, because we have logically (not
emotionally) determined that they are necessary (for the common good - not
for any one man, but for humanity).

Again, AHA! "Necessary for the common 'good'"!

Further, we have determined, that for
things to work right, or the most efficiently, perfectly (to be *good*),
that every one must have the exact same rights, that no person is entitled
to special privileges or allowed to violate another person's rights.  This
comes from logic, not from emotion.  Whenever emotion is added, the moral
code becomes deformed because we all have varying emotions.

Remember this quote!

So, no matter
how much you would like to incorporate emotion, you can not do so and still
have a moral system that is not broken.
[snip snip]
  I just said what good was, and yes, because it violates good.  Think of
good in the most positive way.  Good has a lot of meanings, but in this
argument, it is the opposite of bad (which is a short way of saying evil or
imperfect).
[snip snip]
  My grandfather was a mathematician - he might have been able to construe
something along those lines, but I can't.  I am sure we could hear a lot of
stuff about faith, too, but let's hope not.

I think the faith debate is going on elsewhere in this thread... I won't repeat
that stuff here... at least not unless it becomes necessary...

  Good is definable.  To me, I want to live in a perfect society.
*Everybody* wants to live in a better society (except those who profit by
others misfortune).  Its a universal desire among those who are members of
society.

(One more time for emphasis) AHA! "desire"!

Those who don't share that one desire can go off to their own
society, and see how great that is (that would be hell, right?)  That
universal desire is the only emotion that comes into this at any point,

(And now the mother of them all:) aaaHAA! THERE'S the key! THAT's what I'm
getting at! Did you write this before reading what I wrote later in my message?
I think I covered that, just with different words. The emotional base may be
something we all take for granted, but it's still there! The only thing we have
to argue about (if you indeed acknowledge this universal desire) is its effect
on the resulting morality. I think the minute differences lead us to a varied
but correct moral code, whereas you think they drive us further from the one
truth. Perhaps I will expound later on why I think this, but I'm not really
inclined to now.  That starts to blend philosophy and psychology... Not to
bring another author into it, but M.M. Ponty (Maurice Merlou Ponty I think?)
said a lot about it (see _The_Primacy_of_Perception_). I agree with him on what
he said on this.

the
rest (creating a moral code to uphold this universal desire - our right to
live in such a society) depends on logic.  The moral code itself contains no
emotion - it must be formed purely logically to uphold our *good* society,
as we want it.  So, perfection is what is good (has to be perfect - good
enough is what we have right now, which apparently is not good enough, since
everybody is complaining).  It follows logically that the closest to
perfection we can achieve the better our society will be.  Mistakes and
intentional actions which oppose perfection are thus bad, and there is a lot
of bad in the world.  There is a lot of good, too, though.  I am glad of
that.  But, there could be a lot more, and there could be less apathy about
the bad.  Or maybe I overrate people, but I think they are capable of more
good than they currently show.
  Justice comes into it logically, not emotionally.

Is this off of the same basis that we all "want" to live in a just society? Or
is this a different thing altogether? If so, I don't see a logical base other
than an arbitrary one.

There must be
punishment (not because we desire it, but because logically it is the only
way to keep out bad) and there must be recognition (else there will be no
incentive for good) - that is justice, which must remain emotionless.  You
are right that logic would not care about justice, but you are wrong to say
that justice is based on emotion, it is based on necessity.  It is a
necessary part of this working moral system - the moral system must be
formed logically, and must contain everything needed to fully support the
only collective aspiration.  Logically, we add justice to our morality so
that it will work - it is incomplete without it.  The bible is kinda whacked
out on it - some parts say justice is needed, other parts say to ignore it
and let god do it.  Letting god do it does not work, we must not depend on
god (fictitious or not) to fulfill our mutual ultimate desire.

No real comment yet.

  So, we said similar things, and you already granted a lot to logic, but I
say that morals are based on logic and you say emotion.  Our universal
desire (is there any other universal desire?) to live in a good society is
the (emotion based) reason we have morals.  I believe eventually the people
who feel this emotion strongly enough will see the need for an unbiased
moral code, and will employ it mercilessly, to the chagrin of those who
refuse to recognize it.  In other words, they will live by a human life
affirming set of morals, or else...

Yes, we do say similar things. Again, I say that the differences in that
fundamental emotional base lead us to individual, but still correct moralities,
you say they lead us further from the "truth". There's little more to say.

Ok, emotion. (It's the only choice left, right? :) ) Emotion is desire.

No.

"No it's not the only choice", or "no emotion isn't desire"?
I'd go with budhism here... emotion is stemmed from desire. Again, "STEMMED
from"! The base may be only in desire for an instant, but it's still there!

  You seem to think the ultimate ethic will need to be the size of an
encyclopedia.  I don't know about that.  Judges tend to throw out the
extraneous crap and judge the crime only.  Every detail of a person's life
is not needed to make a judgment about a mistake he made.  At any rate, I
trust my judgment, and do my best to live morally.

Well, in spirit, yes, the size of an encyclopedia. Really, infinite. The
problem with a static set of 'ultimate' morals which are written down is that
they are left to interpretation; and humans have a wonderful capacity for
interpretation... just visit law school to find out.

Laterz,
DaveE