 Off-Topic / Debate / 2086
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:38:25 GMT

David Eaton wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:
  OK, you've deviated from whatever we were discussing, but its still
interesting to a degree.  I agree, that according to a moral system based • on
justice, that neither guy would have any more moral right to the
hypothetical bread than the other.  From the standpoint of charity, I • don't
see a difference either.  With charity, I like to see my charity going to
people are worthy of it.  Whether one is a jerk or a nice guy doesn't have
much to do with it - I mean a lot of leaches are nice guys, which is why • it
is so easy for them to leach off other people.  The jerk might be a jerk
because all of his nice guy buddies are always hitting him up for money, • and
so he doesn't think too highly of other people, doesn't respect them and
doesn't treat them nicely.  So, I still can not say one guy deserves the
hypothetical bread we were arguing about.

No prob. The point deviated slowly, I think, but basically it's just • migrated.
The point was morality underlying consequences, but that's moved elsewhere • in
the message.

   OK, your original point was to show that morally we could decide which
person deserved the bread, and I pointed out that it is very hard, with that
example to determine who is morally superior, and that in any hypothetical
or real situation, it will be impossible to determine one person who is
morally superior, unless there is an ultimate uniform code of morals to
judge by.  So, it deviated a little, but I still made my point which I tried
to make over the course of at least three posts.  You tried to bring the
different aspects (charity and justice) of morality into it, but I say
charity doesn't have anything to do with it, and neither does justice unless
you have one true moral to judge by.  IMO, that true moral won't contain
charity, charity is something of itself, that comes later, in people's
hearts, but not in a moral code used for judging people's actions.  I still
say the moral code will be emotionless, and thus can't contain charity,
which does stem from emotion.

  This new question, whether I would prefer to be rich and liked or poor
and hated, I can only say I would prefer to be rich, regardless of what
others think.  What others think of me is not important.  Whether I am • rich
or poor is important.  I don't need to be filthy rich, but I am unhappy
without a certain amount.

Well, the actual question is more about who you would rather be... moral or
immoral? Would you rather be immoral and have everyone think you were • moral, or
moral and have everyone think you were immoral? I just added the rest of it
because I think that was part of the original question. One of the • described
men was wealthy, well respected, etc, but he was basically Hitler (just an
analogy!) while the other guy was really poor, hated, etc., but was really
worthy of being canonized as a saint (just saying he was really nice, no
religious implications intended).

  Personally, I'd rather be a moral person who is comfortable, regardless of
how people view me.  Is that what you wanted to hear?  Is that impossible?
No.  I don't know exactly what you were trying to find there.

To further sidetrack, this question was actually raised to define morality. • The
philosopher (whoever said it, I forget) was trying to show that morality • isn't
defined by the moral opinions around you, it's based on some 'ultimate'
standard. Anyway, just a sidetrack. As for the 'ultimate' standard thing,
again, see the point which will migrate south in the message

   Oh, OK.  I agree with that part.  Public opinion is not a good way to
judge morality (or many other things).  That could change some day, if the
public ever becomes more than a mindless mob, which would be good.

[snip snip snip]
If it hurts even one person, then its not right.  If our
justice system fails one person, then it is broken.  If the correct moral
code fails one person, then it is wrong.  The life-affirming moral code
doesn't fail anyone.  You might argue that every action has to in some way
hurt another person, but that is false.

Well, again, the point I'm making is morality underlying consequence. Take • the
stealing office supplies/sought after lego piece example. Nobody's hurt in • the
example, but you acknowledge that the action is still wrong. Why? You can • argue
that in some way SOMEWHERE along the line SOMEONE will get hurt, even in • the
slightest, but then you're arguing against your own point. I could just • argue
back that every action SOMEWHERE along the line will HELP someone.

   You asked why is it wrong to steal again.  Because it is, OK.  It
violates another person's right to his property.  It violates his rights.
You want fries with that?

I don't really want to get into this one, cause it's easily disputed, but
another thing to look at IS balance. You have 1,000 tons of food, you have • to
divide it among 50,000 starving people in either one starving country or
another. Is there a moral right? Let's say you can help more people in one
country, so you choose that one. Are you morally justified to choose that
country over the other? I think so. You helped more people than if you • chose
the other country. It hurts many people, but does it make the moral code • fail?
I hope not. That's mostly me just being persnickety with your wording • though. I
think you handle it a lot like Utilitarianism. You weigh justice a lot • higher
than charity. Justice is that which says "I have a right to X, and you are
morally wrong to deprive me of X, even if it makes more people happy".

   As stated above, I don't think charity is a part of morality.  Thus you
can't judge charitable acts the way you are trying to - on a moral scale.
Its an emotional thing, that is up to the sole discretion of the person
doing the charitable act.  He knows he can not feed every starving person in
the world, and can choose in whatever way he prefers to help whomever he
wants.  It is his own property to do with as he pleases, and morally, he is
not responsible to give to one or either group.  Nobody can pass judgement
on that.  I guess I should have said that before.

  At the beginning of this immense paragraph, you said I acknowledged
something - in my paragraph that preceded it, I said I did not acknowledge
it.  So that gets me out of all that.

We'll get to that... Basically, I'm picking at rights. I think rights are
stemmed from emotions... I'm still not really sure what you think about • rights.
Again, morality under consequences.

   OK, I said I did not acknowledge that emotions are part of morality or
rights.  I believe the purpose of morals is to protect people's rights,
which both come from logic.  We have rights, because we have logically (not
emotionally) determined that they are necessary (for the common good - not
for any one man, but for humanity).  Further, we have determined, that for
things to work right, or the most efficiently, perfectly (to be *good*),
that every one must have the exact same rights, that no person is entitled
to special privileges or allowed to violate another person's rights.  This
comes from logic, not from emotion.  Whenever emotion is added, the moral
code becomes deformed because we all have varying emotions.  So, no matter
how much you would like to incorporate emotion, you can not do so and still
have a moral system that is not broken.

  Killing is wrong because it violates another person's right to live.
Pretty simple.

Well, not SO simple (although very simple comparatively). You have to make • a
basic assumption. "It is good to live". That's what I claim stems from • emotion.
Why is it wrong? Because it violates 'good'. Why is 'good' good? Because I
*feel* that it's good. Anyway, more to come.

   I just said what good was, and yes, because it violates good.  Think of
good in the most positive way.  Good has a lot of meanings, but in this
argument, it is the opposite of bad (which is a short way of saying evil or
imperfect).

  I don't think "rights" come from emotions.  I think they come from • logic.
Emotions tell us it is OK to kill someone who has in some way pissed us • off.
Our logic tells us that its wrong, that there will be hell to pay, and • keeps
us from doing it.  Our emotions can be said to be our instincts, which is
the same thing we have in common with animals.  Our logic is what
differentiates us from animals.  Animals do not have or recognize rights.
People do because we have logic.  Unless we allow the people who are more
animal than human (those who survive by use of force) we will have rights.
If we let our emotions control us, we won't have rights; if we use our
logic, we will.  I use my brain, and therefore I believe I do have a right
to live and one other right, not to be forced to do anything against my
will.  I think everyone who uses their brain has the same rights.  Those • who
refuse to use their minds, who choose to live by force, forfeit their
rights, as they have forfeited that which gave them rights in the first
place.

  Again, we disagree.  Only through logic can you know what is right or
what is wrong.  Its not based on feelings.  Everybody has different
feelings, but what is right and wrong is unchangeable.  I think we are
superior to animals, because we can think.  We can determine what is right
and what is wrong.  Animals can't.  We can choose to do what is right or
what is wrong - animals don't even know the difference.  Animals do have
feelings and instincts, but they do not have logic.  We are only superior • to
animals if we implement our minds - we are only animals without it.

Ok. Point forthcoming. Morality based on emotion. Here we go:
Where does morality exist? It's metaphysical. Hence, science has no say in
morality, science only deals with the physical world. What exists in
metaphysics that might help us? Let's see, there's faith, logic, emotion,
mathematics. That's what I can think of, maybe there's more. I think we can
rule out mathematics, it's of no moral help. How about faith? I'll pass on
this. I think we'd both agree that faith is no means for a basis of • morality.
No real need to discuss why it doesn't apply, but we can discuss it if • wanted.
We are left with logic and emotion.

   My grandfather was a mathematician - he might have been able to construe
something along those lines, but I can't.  I am sure we could hear a lot of
stuff about faith, too, but let's hope not.

Let's look at logic. Let's imagine a statement derived logically: "X is • good."
Logic requires 2 things in order to follow the rules of logic. It has to • have a
definition for X and a definition for good. The potential 3rd definition
(association) isn't necessary. Associating the two points is defined by the
rules of logic itself. Association is natural to logic. The definition of X
won't really concern us, that can vary. But it needs a definition of good
before it can pass this conclusion. Where does good get defined in logic? • You
can put forth the definition of "good is that which is life-affirming", but
that statement wasn't derived logically. That's a base on which to build. • It's
a definition, given without proof. Hence, I hold that this definition is • based
on something further. Otherwise, it'd just be arbitrary. I could say "what • is
good is that which helps me (David Eaton) get rich." And for all intents • and
purposes, that statement has as much logical basis as the former statement.
However, we'd all agree that this is no realistic definition of good. If • you
can show me a logical basis for the definition, go for it. I maintain, • though,
that this definition is based in emotion. It's an emotion that we can all • agree
to as humans, but it is an emotional base, nonetheless.

   Good is definable.  To me, I want to live in a perfect society.
*Everybody* wants to live in a better society (except those who profit by
others misfortune).  Its a universal desire among those who are members of
society.  Those who don't share that one desire can go off to their own
society, and see how great that is (that would be hell, right?)  That
universal desire is the only emotion that comes into this at any point, the
rest (creating a moral code to uphold this universal desire - our right to
live in such a society) depends on logic.  The moral code itself contains no
emotion - it must be formed purely logically to uphold our *good* society,
as we want it.  So, perfection is what is good (has to be perfect - good
enough is what we have right now, which apparently is not good enough, since
everybody is complaining).  It follows logically that the closest to
perfection we can achieve the better our society will be.  Mistakes and
intentional actions which oppose perfection are thus bad, and there is a lot
of bad in the world.  There is a lot of good, too, though.  I am glad of
that.  But, there could be a lot more, and there could be less apathy about
the bad.  Or maybe I overrate people, but I think they are capable of more
good than they currently show.
   Justice comes into it logically, not emotionally.  There must be
punishment (not because we desire it, but because logically it is the only
way to keep out bad) and there must be recognition (else there will be no
incentive for good) - that is justice, which must remain emotionless.  You
are right that logic would not care about justice, but you are wrong to say
that justice is based on emotion, it is based on necessity.  It is a
necessary part of this working moral system - the moral system must be
formed logically, and must contain everything needed to fully support the
only collective aspiration.  Logically, we add justice to our morality so
that it will work - it is incomplete without it.  The bible is kinda whacked
out on it - some parts say justice is needed, other parts say to ignore it
and let god do it.  Letting god do it does not work, we must not depend on
god (fictitious or not) to fulfill our mutual ultimate desire.

   So, we said similar things, and you already granted a lot to logic, but I
say that morals are based on logic and you say emotion.  Our universal
desire (is there any other universal desire?) to live in a good society is
the (emotion based) reason we have morals.  I believe eventually the people
who feel this emotion strongly enough will see the need for an unbiased
moral code, and will employ it mercilessly, to the chagrin of those who
refuse to recognize it.  In other words, they will live by a human life
affirming set of morals, or else...

Ok, emotion. (It's the only choice left, right? :) ) Emotion is desire.

  No.

That's
the realm of morality. Desire to see justice done, desire to see injustice
punished, desire for people to be happy, etc. Logic couldn't care less • whether
or not we all die or all suffer horrible disfigurations, etc. Emotions lead • us
to care, as humans. It is fundamental emotion that says "I want to live" • and "I
want to be happy" (being happy presupposes living, so I guess I could only • put
forth the second one only, but whatever). It is logic which pushes that a • step
further and allows us to conclude that other beings exist, and also posses
emotions. To conclude other people's existence is a logical step
This leads us to conclude that other people want to live and want to be • happy.
Here is where the crucial step towards morality lies. We, as humans, allow • (to
a degree) a want for other people to achieve their desires (to live, be • happy,
whatever). We might have some differing opinions about how much we want • them to
be happy, etc., especially when it interferes with our own happiness, but • the
fundamental step is that we have a desire for others to be happy as well as
ourselves. Hence, we can make the definition which logic can use. "Good is
defined to be X." So HERE is where life-affirming needs to be defined. In • the
realm of emotions. There's more spiel here on it being defined to be • ultimate
in its definition, but that'll wait until later.

   OK.

  Well, its not.  Its a given that it will be unpopular - so many like to
live by a false set of morals, that if they saw a true set, they would • hate
it.  But that doesn't matter. The truth is the truth, if it is found, it
will have to be accepted, there will be no choice, no argument.  Those who
accept it will know it is right, those who don't will perish.

I tend to agree. If there was an ultimate moral code, it would have to be
accepted by everyone. Maybe there would be disputes about some things, but • when
it got down to the REAL truth, everyone would HAVE to accept that ultimate
code.

   Good.

People don't pay too much attention to the details, and end
up living by a flawed code.  Everyone has their own little code, but I bet
we are all born with the same thing,

Again, I think I agree. Fundamental morality is universal "What is good is • that
which makes me happy". The next step "What is good is that which makes • people
happy (keeps them living, etc.)" is given to us through experience, logic, • and
again, some fundamental emotion of desiring for others that which we want
ourselves. The thing I don't agree with is the 'ultimate' ethic, which is
capable of judging every conceivable situation (which I think is defined in • our
requirements for a moral code). As experience differs from person to • person,
as well as logical capacity, not to mention possibly genetic differences, • the
fundamental vision of morality becomes more specific; and because we are • all
different, we acquire slightly different views on what is moral. We do, I
think, all come from the same moral base, however.

   You seem to think the ultimate ethic will need to be the size of an
encyclopedia.  I don't know about that.  Judges tend to throw out the
extraneous crap and judge the crime only.  Every detail of a person's life
is not needed to make a judgment about a mistake he made.  At any rate, I
trust my judgment, and do my best to live morally.

Hence, I don't disagree that there is NO universal code, but the code would
have to be infinite. If you make the claim that "killing is wrong" you can • say
"well, I killed to prevent further killing". The rule becomes "killing is • wrong
unless it is to prevent further killing." or perhaps you prevented • violation of
some other ethic. "I stole in order to prevent killing", etc. Which moral • law
takes precedence? The specifics of each action to be judged force a more • and
more refined definition of a moral code, until you reach the end of • "Killing is
wrong, unless: 1. You are walking down the street and see someone you don't
know who is ... 2. ... 3. ... " etc. My point is that there are always
consequences that seem to violate the code as it is put forth, but need to • be
accounted for in the code.

   I don't know.  That can probably be put into fewer than infinite words -
like it is wrong to use force on another man, unless he has initiated the
use of force against you.

DaveE

--
   Have fun!