 Off-Topic / Debate / 2092
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:15:16 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote
"Moz (Chris Moseley)" wrote:
No. Theft is at the core of Christian beliefs.

I will respond only because Chris may truly believe what he is saying.

Within the terms of that debate, yes, I believe in the truth of my statements.

My understanding is that from Larrys perspective anything at all the requires
he give anything to anyone is theft. If a gift is not completely voluntary it
is theft. End of story. The church requires that he give, therefore it uses theft.
I personally don't agree with that, but it seems to be a fair summary of the
position used by Larry (and also Mike).

Chris, the core of the Christian belief is this: to love the Lord your God with
all your heart, strength, and mind AND love your neighbor as yourself.

Now, as to my personal approach to religion, I am spiritually closer to Baha'i
than Christian, but please rest assured that I know a fair bit of Christian
history and theology. As well as snippets of a variety of other things like the
Qur'an and the Book of Mormon, and the various other documents referring to the
lives of Mohammed, Jesus, Ghandi and other moral leaders. But "there's lots of
comedy on televsion but it doesn't make children any funnier". In other words,
just knowing the words does not convey knowledge. You comments above seem to
indicate that your Christianity differs from common practice in the USA as
well as from the teachings of the church. Which is why I don't like churches,
being one who takes the reported words of Jesus seriously when he said that
"no man may come between you and the Lord". I will not pray to an idol, nor
pay obeisance to any man in the name of God. YMMV.

Moz