 Off-Topic / Debate / 20760
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 11:41:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matt Hein writes:

If a kid by the age of fifteen
or so can deliver a legitimate, thought provoking,
and/ or sensible reason as to eschew church, then
by all means they don't have to attend.

After they've been brainwashed since they first could understand words, you
mean, by being forced to attend church up til then? We chose not to do that
to our children. They can decide for themselves once they're old enough but
for now we are not forcing them to attend any church.
<snip>

Have you spoken to other adults who were given that option as children? My
understanding is that the problem with this approach is that the child then has
no foundation from which to base his decision. I don't have a source, but
significant anecdotal evidence has let me to believe that it's better to be
exposed to a religion (almost any religion) than to be exposed to none. Once you
have a basis for comparison, you are then better equipped to make your own
decision at 15, or 18, or whenever.

The adults I've spoken to who were given no religious upbringing have described
to me an extremely difficult and frustrating time trying to aquire a religion
later in life, even when they want to.

On the other hand, most children who were brought up in a church setting rebel
from it at some point, and come to make their own decision later in life. They
are able to embrace it more fully, in part because they chose it themselves, and
in part because they have something to compare it to.

Perhaps those of us who were brought up in a religious setting are not the best
qualified to decide whether it was the right thing to do, since we don't have
any experience with the alternative. I mean, what if the alternative's worse?

And from what I can tell, people who have been brought up in a religious setting
(most of the participants in this discussion, for example) have been able to
come to their own decisions on the subject of religion in their lives. And they
are very sure and proud of their choice. So maybe they weren't so "brainwashed"
after all.

If there are some people here whe were raised with no religious input at all,
I'd be very interested to hear how it has affected your life, and what decisions
you have made regarding religion.

Rick Clark