 Off-Topic / Debate / 20764
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 00:26:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Clark writes:

And from what I can tell, people who have been brought up in a
religious setting (most of the participants in this discussion,
for example) have been able to come to their own decisions on
the subject of religion in their lives. And they are very sure
and proud of their choice. So maybe they weren't so "brainwashed"
after all.

I think you'd have a hard time demonstrating that's actually true. After
all, the best "brainwashing" is one in which the victim thinks there was no
undue influence whatever.

If there are some people here whe were raised with no religious
input at all, I'd be very interested to hear how it has affected
your life, and what decisions you have made regarding religion.

I suspect there are no such people anywhere on the earth, unless they were
raised in Skinner boxes... religious input is almost everywhere, (as is
input suggesting that religion may not be the be all/end all)

Some people come closer, some farther, to influence free. I suspect I'm
closer than some, as I was raised atheist, and I think it's affected my life
quite positively. But how can one tell for sure?

++Lar