 Off-Topic / Debate / 20587
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:16:01 GMT

John wrote:

Here's another way of looking at it:  how, when faced with an eerie
coincidence like the hypthetical bus accident, are we able to know that
there *is* a karmic/metaphysical/transcendent reason behind it?

Sorry to be a buttinski here, but I just thought of something.  What about the
odds angle?  Sometimes coincidences are too great; that is, that the odds of
something happening a certain way are way beyond normal expectation.  Say, for
instance, the beginning of life on earth.  I'm a little rusty on the numbers,
but IIRC the odds of the events happening that led up to the creation of life
are incomprehensible.  Would such "coincidences" suggest anything intelligent
behind them?

I suppose they can suggest it to those predisposed to believing in a Greater Being,
yes.

But when you consider the # of stars in just our galaxy, and the # of planets that
they can have (we find more and more every year, and as our technology improves,
the discoveries will increase, I'm sure), those seemingly insurmountable odds come
down to a mathematical virtual certainty in the end.

i.e., if the odds are a billion to one ("Life As We Know It" has much higher odds,
IIRC, but B:1 is easier to deal with), and there are 10 billion "cases", well, then
the odds of X happening don't matter that much, it is a virtual certainty that X
WILL happen.

Put another way, we are "X" - the reason we are here debating/discussing this is
that we are the "success" (that we are a "success" can certainly be debated
unendingly).  It doesn't mean that Life As We Know It is anything special (except
the odds against it), it just means there were probably a mind-bogglingly large #
of failures that we may come upon as we reach the stars.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/