 Off-Topic / Debate / 20552
20551  |  20553
Subject:
La belle province
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:30:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:
<snip>

I dunno, Quebec doesn't seem all that oppressed to me, but I only have an
outside view.

Consider yourself lucky you're "stuck" with a country that would probably at
least let you secede without too much of a fight if you ever marshalled the
votes for it. Many people, oppressed far far more than you guys are, are not
that lucky by a long stretch. Consider the Nigerian/Biafran war, consider
the breakup of Yugoslavia, consider Ethiopia/Eritrea.

The general track record of nations is that they are very hostile to the
notion that people can decide they don't want to belong to the larger part
and form their own government in a smaller part. That's too bad, really. I
tend to support the rights of self determination and feel secession ought to
be allowed.

But on the other hand, I'm usually not so keen to see countries fracture
along ethnic lines, myself as the formerly oppressed minority that is the
new majority in the smaller part has this nasty habit of turning on the
former majority.

If Quebec got its way, what would you do to ensure the rights of the new
English speaking minority? From what I hear it's not very pleasant to be an
English speaker in Quebec (relatively speaking, mind you... I haven't heard
of any ethnic cleansing, thank goodness) as it is.