 Off-Topic / Debate / 20550
Re: Tax day, give me a break
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:03:19 GMT

The USA trails Europe in terms of both life
expectancy and literacy.

There was an interesting letter in the Guardian yesterday about life in Cuba...

==+==
Far from not trusting its own people, the more obvious reason for the crackdown
on dissidents, is the Cuban government's fear of US intentions. Cuba has had
decades of draconian blockades imposed on it by the US because it dares to have
different values. Despite the blockade, Cubans have achieved 98% literacy, a
lower infant mortality than Washington DC and a healthy population with high
life expectancy. Cuba sends more doctors to help in the developing world than
does the entire World Health Organisation. True participation in
decision-making at a community level is far higher than in most supposedly
democratic countries, with some 95% of the population exercising their right to
vote in elections.

The Cuban government has reason to be very fearful. Having seen the relative
ease with which the US has got rid of the Iraq regime, it fears is it one of
those next on the list.
==+==

More:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,3604,940782,00.html