 Off-Topic / Debate / 20337
Re: Tax day, give me a break
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:02:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lester Witter writes:
Guys

The US tax system may be more complex than many other countries (I have no idea
if this is true) but the rate of taxation is low compared to other
industrialized nations. I'm a middle class taxpayer and I estimate my total
fedral, state and local combined tax rate (including sales tax) at about 33%.
Ask our friends in Europe if they would complain if their total tax burden
magically (as in no reduction in services) changed to 33%.

Although income tax is comparable with your own [when NI is included], in the
UK we are taxed at 40% of GDP. But the difference is cultural too; we don't
mind paying tax if we get good public services in return... we want education
and health to be provided by the state on the basis of *need* - not ability to
pay. "High" taxation in France has given it the world's best health service -
low taxation in the USA has given it the most inefficient [3.5% more of GDP
than France] health service... The USA trails Europe in terms of both life
expectancy and literacy.

The problem with the UK is that we want EU public service provision and
environmental protection levels with US levels of taxation... we end up with
neither!

Scott A

[Who thinks aviation fuel needs to be taxed.]