 Off-Topic / Debate / 20497
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:13:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:

I don't hate canadians.  I am just not one.  I don't have any prejudices
against them, I am just not one.

I'm not black either.  Call me a racist because I say so.

If you define identity, I mean the one you feel in your heart, not the one
written on your passport, by a political point of view, then yes, I am still
a Canadian in fact, but I'll never sign the "O Canada" anthem, I'll never
consider a Canadian from another province from mine to be a compatriot.
They are not my enemies because I don't consider myself a canadian.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me.  I respect Canada as a country of peace and
freedom more than many others, although I respect every country (even USA,
before some people say otherwise).

As for politics, I should remind you that the fact that Leberals won was no
surprise, since no party won 3 elections in a row for over 50 years in
Quebec.  The polls still give soverainty 45% of the population, the highest
% when not in referendum campaign.  Everyone knows, in Quebec, that we will
gain majority within 20 years, which is small in politic time.

Uninformed?  I challenge you to a trivia on Quebec's history.  You should
know that i studied history at University, so I'll just reverse this to you,
David, you are uninformed on our political standpoint if you think that Jean
Charest's victory proves anything.  We all knew they would win 2 years ago
and the results are very unsatisfying for them, they expected much more.

Trivia as to Quebec history aside (I bet I know more about Winona history
than you do by the simple fact that I live there), the facts haven't been
refuted--every single time your little separatist movement starts talking,
your, and the ROC, economy goes in the tanks.  Money talks.

Beyond that simple fact, here's another one--we all signed the
constitution--it was done up, oh, 1867ish when Canada became a country.  And
in 1867 who was there?  Upper and Lower Canada--which are now Quebec and
Ontario--that's it.  So then there were 2.  Now there are 10 (plus territories).

Your province didn't patriate the constitution in 1982.   That's completely
different than signing the constitution.  Stop being brainwashed by separatists.

The reason *why* Quebec didn't sign off on patriating the constitution
(bringing it from Britian to Canada) was the simple fact that if the
constitution was ledt in England, there would always be *one* court higher
than the Supreme court of Canada, so that if the separatists finally got
what they wanted--a "yes" vote, and the Supreme court of Canada ruled that
vote 'unconstitutional' y'all could go to a 'higher authority' over there in GB.

Completely inconsistant, btw--not wanting any part of "anglophone" but
wanting to keep that 'back door' to GB.  If you're going to be all righteous
and such, at least be consistant with your beliefs.

As it stands, if this question comes up again I want the following in the
referendum--

"Do you vote to completely severe *all* political ties with Canada, which
means--

restitution for Quebec's portion of the national debt
generating your own money/funds, and separating yourself from the Bank of Canada
having no Canadian protection/military forces in the province"

As it was last worded, it was the epitome of confusion.  Get out of Canada
entirely or don't pose the question--this isn't a 'keep one foot in the
door' scenario.

Then you'll see your 45% reduce down to something like 2-5%.

I repat myself, then.  I'm not Canadian at heart.  I am Québécois.  I will
feel that way all my life, like 45% of the population here in Québec.  We
didn't even signed the Constitution!  Even the Liberals never signed that
document!  21 years now that it's there, with only 9 out of 10 provinces'
signatures...  So even politically, I am not in the Canadian constitution.

Yes you are.  You didn't patriate it, but your province is there.  Stop with
the untruths.

Your country is a beautiful country.  I visited Canada a few years ago, only
to realize how huge the differences are between our 2 nations.
Nevertheless, I hope Canada and Québec will have a good relationship when
the inevitable happens within 20 years, hopefully sooner than later.  And
you are welcome to visit Québec at least once in your life time to see how
we have nothing in common exept the Flag.

THe inevitable will happen only if you, in your zealotous and ill-formed
ideas, spread these separatist ideas to your fellow person.  If you and your
fellow separatists spent half the energy in helping your fellow citizen,
then perhaps the vote a few weeks back wouldn't have turned out as it did.
You say you're not surprised at all about the outcome---well, perhaps that's
because you know that in your zeal to separate, you've been blatantly
ignoring the issues of the everyday person in your province.

Show some true leadership and do what's right for your fellow Canadian.

I don't hate you.  You are my neighbour, I wish you well.

I wish you well, Terry.  I wish that you will realize someday that in your
pursuit of separation, you're going to destroy your province, and hurt the ROC.

And your fellow citizen has said as much in the last election.

Terry
Québécois

Vive le Quebec
Vive le Canada