 Off-Topic / Debate / 2048
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:16:55 GMT

<37D2DA5A.3FAA4509@voyager.net> <FHMnG6.30B@lugnet.com>

Simon Robinson wrote:

1 - Different spheres. However, someone with a world view that's "wrong"
has to prove themselves to be reliable to me before I trust them(2). All
my factorees have. And even if I am wrong about them I can still make
the buyers right anyway, if I had to. Not that it would come to that.

2 - recall that I have said in the past that people with flawed morals
are people that I don't implicitly trust because they have come out and
said things like "it's OK to take from the rich and give to the poor" so
that makes me wonder, since I'm "rich" (-er than them, anyway), whether
they are going to take from ME by not completing a deal... their morals
seem say it's OK. So I tend to be suspicious till I build up some
experience.

As one of your factorees :) and so I assume one of the people you
are talking about
I rather resent the implication that my political views could have any
bearing on how trustworthy I might be in any trading.

I think Chris did a pretty good job of explaining why I do in fact
consider everything when making decisions about trust. Why wouldn't I
use every shred of evidence available to me when making them?

I think that when you're trading on the Internet, you've got very little
protection against someone who isn't honest in their dealings. And
because of that it's quite reasonable to be wary of anyone you've
not dealt with until you've had enough experience to build up some
trust. But to try and link trust to political views in the way you
just have sucks.

I'm not sure what to say here, but it IS what I do and I'm not going to
apologise for it. My world view, which is right there out on the table
for everyone to examine, says that once I make a deal I am honor bound
to follow through on it. I'm not sure that's as true for someone who
espouses "from each according to their ability, to each according to
their need...".

Now, I think someone claiming to be a Libertarian is a pretty weak piece
of evidence in favor of them being trustworthy compared to experiential
evidence gained by doing deals, and someone claiming to be a Marxist is
a pretty weak piece of evidence against them being trustworthy compared
to... but I would be foolish to ignore it.

Having said that, just about(1) every one of my factors, including you,
is someone I would vouch for as being an extremely reliable trading
partner, and the one that isn't, I am dealing with.  I built that
feeling up by trading, by observing trades, and so forth. So it's a lot
more reliable than political leanings.

1 - There is one who is "on probation" right now. I won't smear that one
person by naming names, but I am closely watching and I am ready to take
steps if I need to. So prospective buyers needn't worry.

lugnet.