 Off-Topic / Debate / 20445
20444  |  20446
Subject:
Welcome Worn Out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:17:46 GMT

"Many Iraqis sceptical as Garner tours Baghdad"
http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s836897.htm

[may wrap]

Washington has awarded huge reconstruction projects to US companies but
ORHA, which reports to the US military, says it aims to work with Iraqis as
much as possible.

However, determining who represents Iraqis is complex.

Barbara Bodine, ORHA coordinator for central Iraq, said Washington did not
recognise Mohammed Mohsen al-Zubaidi, who said recently he had been chosen
as governor of Baghdad.

"We don't really know much about him except that he's declared himself
mayor," Ms Bodine said. "We don't recognise him."

Stephen Browning, an American civil engineer advising Garner's team on
water, power and sanitation, acknowledged many Iraqis were ambivalent about
the US reconstruction team.

He said a common attitude was: "We appreciate you for deposing Saddam. We
appreciate your help. But we don't want you to stay."

A good guest and neighbor knows when it's time to leave.

-- Hop-Frog