 Off-Topic / Debate / 19805
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:34:05 GMT

I may be misunderstanding the question, but let me try with a hypothetical
stab at it.
Suppose you and a group of like-minded individuals locate and claim a
previously un-owned but inhabitable island in international waters.

Does such an island exist? As far as I can tell, all land on this planet is
either claimed by some particular government (and thus ought not to be hived
off without the acquiescence of that government, or of the landowners or at
least of somebody!) or has been deemed offlimits (Antarctica) by all the
existing governments agreeing that it is so.

  Alas, that's just the way it goes; do you think that in a government-less
world that wouldn't be the case?  I want the free market to cough up a free
place for me to live, but the free market doesn't do that any more than the
current situation does.
  Why is it preferable to have things run by a number of huge corporations
rather than a number of governments?  It seems undeniable to me that, in a
free-market world of global corporations, every exploitable piece of land
would be grabbed and claimed just as surely as in the world we have.

And I'd say collusion
is absolutely an element of the free market.  When convenient and
profitable, two agencies are almost certain to combine their efforts to work
against an exploitable third party, especially after the initial two
agencies have secured their corner of the market.
For clarification, by "free market" you mean a market operating without
the intervention of an overarching body, don't you?  What's to prevent a
number of companies from combining their efforts to squeeze the rest of the
market?  To me, this seems not just possible but inevitable!

Plowed ground alert: I (and many economists much more talented than I) long
have held that there are no natural monopolies. Thus it's not only not
inevitable, it's impossible.

  I think there may be a subtlety that I'm missing in the meaning of
"natural monopoly," but it seems to me that such a case is almost certain to
arise in any reasonably finite market structure.
  This may be an instance of you and me backing opposing economists, but I
don't know that you and I are qualified to judge which Nobel Laureate is
correct!

      Dave!