 Off-Topic / Debate / 19762
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Ok, I was refering to the operation of the Government, not the social changes
that occured between now and then despite the government's best efforts to • the
contrary. See maybe we have a slight difference of opinion here. I see the
Government, not as the people who will fix things for us, but the cause of
most of the problems.

  You may freely assert that point, but you must also document it, and you
should also document how things would have been better without government
intervention.  The examples I gave:

the same time period in which civil rights were non-existent,

Which resolved regardless of the the attempts to stop it.

Presidents could
serve an unlimited number of terms,

So? That is why we have an election.

the securities industry was wholly (and
tragically) unregulated,

So? Who's fault is it if they lose everything gambling on the securities
industry.

women were all but chained to their stoves,

Also resolved despite efforts to the contrary.

the military draft was in full effect,

Like it would be again if neccessary.

the environment was freely polluted by
unmonitored industry,

So? Industry is self correcting. If no one buys a product because that company
pollutes they wouldn't do it would they.

the interstate freeway system didn't exist,

Yeah Ford, Chevy, and Lincoln did some good lobbying for that. Nevermind they
also paid to rip out most of the rail lines.

poll taxes were in effect,

Its a wonder no politicians were shot over that.

alcohol was illegal,

Yeah that worked about as good as the war on drugs.

rural electrical service didn't exist,

So? Our reliance on a centralized power grid is a weakness not a strength.

and the FDIC hadn't yet come into being?

And it has been screwing with the economy ever since.

are not social changes (with the exception of the women/stoves bit) but
are in fact direct, positive results of government programs.  Social
security, though a favorite target of conservatives, has also been a
tremendously successful program (in terms of its original intent, rather
than its current use).
If you're going to assert that these are mere social changes that took
place "despite the government's best efforts to the contrary," then you
really need to demonstrate how the government tried to stop these from
occurring, and how they failed to do so.
Additionally, it's tough for me to respond to your arguments if you don't
cite the post that preceded yours!

    Dave!

See this is my viewpoint. People are responsible for their own actions, and
should be held accountable for them.