 Off-Topic / Debate / 19726
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 04:47:58 GMT

Fox is hardly a cite I consider without bias -- I'll wait until at least a
few other sources join in confirming the story.

And while I don't claim any conspiracy exists to make Saddam appear to be a
bad guy (I mean, I accept that he is a bad guy), you cannot claim that the
administration hasn't tried to use manufactured evidence already can you?
They are hardly coming to the table with clean hands themselves at this point.

And knowing they were coming in strength put Saddam in a difficult position.
Should he have disarmed or ramped up? And at what point did he feel free to
do which? Point being: when the wolves are at the door, I don't then fling
my only defenses out the window? Do you?

Our side in this fiasco should not have talked of disarmament and war in the
same breath -- we should have at least pretended we didn't intend to attack
just to see if he would comply with the UN.  By failing to give him a real
opportunity to disarm peacefully (without the tacked on "regime change"
clause from the U.S.) we shall now never know what he might have been truly
willing to do.  We can't claim we gave him a true chance to move towards
peace. We cut diplomatic efforts off at the knees.

I still think the outcome of this skirmish is already known, duration
remains the X factor.  When the dust settles I will pay attention to what
precisely is done with the spoils of war.

Their future actions shall dictate the judgment of history.

-- Hop-Frog