 Off-Topic / Debate / 1972
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:01:47 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:
Like any set of opposites, logic is absolutely meaningless without
feeling.
Hey, I thought logic was only meaning_ful_ without feeling.  That whole
Spock thing, y'know? -- logic with feeling ain't really logic.

Heh -- if you're going to quote Spock...

"Logic is not the end of understanding.  It's a beginning."  - STVI:TUC

One of the things I loved most about Spock's character, is that he tried to
be logical to a fault -- a hero's fatal flaw, if you will.  There's plenty
of room for tragedy and sundry bad things in a person like that...

And, like any set of rules governing the world, God created them.
Hmmm.  Well, this is one place where I kind of get confused.  See, I believe
that God didn't create logic or mathematics -- that he in fact *couldn't*
create them -- because they already existed on their own without the world,
without the universe, and without God.
Naturally, of course, if God didn't exist and hadn't created us, we'd never
be here in the first place to discover mathematics, but it would still
exist, wouldn't it?

This works if you believe that pure science -- e.g. math, geometry, nuclear
physics, etc. -- work without the presence of the observer.  (1)  I don't
subscribe to that notion.  Just as observing an event will modify the event,
then not observing the event will surely modify it.  Perhaps if there were
no observers, the event would not happen.

To quote Ben Kenobi: "...you're going to find that many of the truths we
cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."  :-,

Anyway, I'm going from when the Lord said that He was the alpha and the
omega.  (Revelations 1:8)  Science, presumably, would be the beta and the
psi, but that's really just conjecture.

On other hand, consider this:  If God *didn't* create the rules, who did?
Who worked in the Void in which God created light?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  It's the tree falling on a crowd of deaf people argument.  ;-)

He stands...like some sort of...PAGAN GOD or DEPOSED TYRANT.  Staring out
over the city he's sworn to...to stare out over...  And it's evident...just
by looking at him...that he's got some PRETTY HEAVY THINGS ON HIS MIND.
- Ben Edlund, 1996