 Off-Topic / Debate / 19706
Re: Looking for Motives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:12:52 GMT

Look, this is just counterproductive.  There is no on-point discussion being
advanced.

If you were looking at my resume you would absolutely assume that my past
record had at least some relationship to the trajectory of my present and
future career choices.  Why is it suddenly and magically different for Shrub
et al? The fact that so many people in the current administration are from
the oil industry means that they are now all absolutely and magically free
of all such ties and motives?

Further, if there is no worry about the oil -- why are France and Russia
upset about the future of Iraq?  Why wouldn't the Iraqi people continue to
honor their preexisting business relationships? Could it be France and
Russia fear being cut out of the deal?

Or you know what?  How bout discussing it yourselves -- you tell me how
things stand.  You explain why we had to go war right now.  You explain why
France and Russia are upset.  You tell me who stands to gain in the
rebuilding or Iraq's infrastructure and oil business.

Even the U.S. war of independence came down to money.  Ever heeard of that
tea tax that upset everyone so much?  Denying the money trail in history is
too counter-intuitive for me.

I am waiting for your earth-shattering information that proves me all wrong.
Seriously.  Advance another theory or at least allow that mine is at least
plausible.

All this "conspiracy theory" stuff is just silly.  That's just a way of
saying: "That idea is ludicrous."  If that's all you have to say, great --
thanks for sharing.  Otherwise, consider the following...

Here is the definition of conspiracy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

con·spir·a·cy  noun
plural con·spir·a·cies

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. Law. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or
accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you two have any idea how much of human history can be described by use
of this word.  How about the American Revolutionary War?  How about Bill
Gates ripping off everything from DOS, to Excel, to the GUI for Windows? How
about what most politicians do every day to continue or advance their
political careers?  How about almost anything that requires a small group of
people to accomplish and that you happen not to like?

I don't care what Shrub did at Yale or what organizations he happened to
belong to -- I care what he has done in his professional and business career
so I examine the public record and see where that leads me.  And in his case
I think it is at least fair to examine his family relationships too. Not
unlike the Kennedy family, the Shrubs are up to their eyeballs in politics.

Anyway, at least I am trying to figure things out Larry.  I am not adopting
a superior stance of: I am smart and capable while everyone else is just
stupid and incompetent.  In a court of law you would simply be laughed out
of the courtroom -- where is the motive?  If you think the motive is
unknowable -- fine, say that.  Your boring quote from Napoleon gets us
precisely nowhere where motive is concerned.  Napoleon was probably
referring to an incident in which someone spilled his wine rather than what
would happen to him at Waterloo pressed by the British and Prussian forces.

You must ascribe to design that which is clearly intended. Goodbye Napoleon.

-- Hop-Frog