 Off-Topic / Debate / 19692
19691  |  19693
Subject:
Looking for Motives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:24:02 GMT

"Russia: No move to legitimise war"
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/03/22/sprj.irq.iraq.russia.reut/index.html

Russia, which has big economic and oil interests in Iraq, aligned itself
with France and China in opposing U.S.-led military action to topple Iraqi
leader Saddam Hussein and disarm Iraq of banned weapons that Washington says
it is holding.

-----------------

I read it this way: we prop SH up, the Russians make oil deals (just like
us, BTW), but now we want not just a piece of the pie -- we want it all, and
Russia knows this and is trying to angle to have its preexisting contracts
honored despite american imperialism. Note CNN's wording here: "banned
weapons that Washington says it is holding" -- not exactly a statement of
fact, eh?  More like quoting an opinion.  Maybe CNN journalist were as
underwhelmed as I at the "evidence" presented by the straight-faced "Colon"
Powell.

Is there an alternate version of this?

-- Hop-Frog