 Off-Topic / Debate / 19704
Re: Interesting juxtaposition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:43:23 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

first:

http://www.indybay.org/news/2003/03/1583064.php

second:

Do you think the Iraqi conscripts might know more about reality than the SF
protestors?

I can't take credit for discovering this juxtaposition, I saw it on a blog.

It sure is interesting. It also certainly says a lot about what is going
on inside Iraq for the officers to have been shot. It is hard to
comprehend the officer's mindset since I can't believe they were given
sufficient support to have any realistic chance of holding against the
US and British troops, and given that, it is hard to comprehend that
they would not help their troops surrender. Of course, perhaps they had
mistreated the conscripts so badly that even if they were willing to
surrender quickly, the conscripts just took advantage of the situation
to pay back for the hell they had been given.

Unfortunately, I fear that once these conscripts have gone there
(shooting their officers), it may be very hard to bring them a better
life. I really honestly have no idea how we begin to repair the third
world. I think we had an easy job with Germany, Italy, and Japan because
they were part of the first world before the war, and also all feared an
enemy in common with the Allies. The Iraqi's have never known modern,
free society.

Of course India may be one place to look for ideas. They seem to be on
the path to something good, though sadly they are getting caught up in
the religious turmoil, but at least it doesn't drive the whole country
like it does in much (most?) of the third world.

Frank