 Off-Topic / Debate / 19679
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:48:19 GMT

Have we done anything to help increase security for anyone,
ourselves included?

I don't know if we *have* but some think we *can*...see

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=19514

which gives a link making the argument that working to overthrow tyrants is
useful.

Again, I'm not sure I agree with that writer's view. Do you? What do you
think could be done to bring peace and freedom to those currently oppressed?

You and I agree that we should not be contributing aid to the worst nations
in the world.  It is a disgrace that China is a PNTR partner.  Supporting
Israel with no strings attached (and maybe at all) is also bad.  Being there
to help them up when they fall would be good.  Instead of throwing Russia to
the wolves after the USSR disintigrated, we should have been there as allies
to help them build a democratic mindset.  It almost seems like we have a
systematic approach to increasing the misery of others.

You contradict yourself.  How would letting Israel fall *decrease* their misery?

The plans for Iraq after the regime change sound good.  At this point, I
guess we'll have to wait and see.  Good can still come from this, but if
that was our goal, why didn't we do it twelve years ago when most of the
bill would be picked up by others?

Very good question.  The answer is because of the UN.  We didn't have a mandate
to enter Iraq; only to free Kuwait.  We *should* have continued on to Baghdad
and ousted SH's regime then.  The US *should* have defied the UN way back then.

Yet it's clear to me that the world is a safer and freer place now that the
US won the cold war (for the benefit of all), than it was back then.

I'm not sure how to do that calculus.  _I_ didn't ever feel unsafe due to
the cold war and I don't feel usafe today.  But I wasn't very aware of the
wider world and I'm too young for our Cuban crises.

I remember feeling very unsure of the future just after 9-11.  Not for my own
safety necessarily, but for the future of our way of life.  At no time in
history could so few inflict so much potential damage.  It is a problem that
will require new methods of combat.

Seriously, does anyone doubt for a second that, had OBL access to a nuke, he
would denotate it in Washington D.C.?  I don't.  And that is not a happy
thought.

JOHN