 Off-Topic / Debate / 19675
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:01:34 GMT

Because one way people don't die.  Inspections and containment was working.

False. It was doing no such thing.

The other way people die--bombing and fighting.

False again. Tell that to the Kurds, er, Shiites, er Chaldeans he
gassed/starved/paved over during the peace

Hussein's imposition of his will on his oppressed people cost how many
hundreds of thousands of lives? If you think containment was working, you
have to acknowledge the cost of the sanctions. And they are directly
chargable to HIM. Not the US, or the UK or the UN.

Those hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lives lost and 12 years of
misery for an entire nation.... that all could have been avoided in 1991, if
the correct thing had been done then. (or eariler still, if the fools in the
State Department hadn't advocated turning a blind eye to Hussein so he could
have counterbalanced Iraq. As if.)

But it wasn't. And it again wasn't, several times during the 90's... so here
we are now. The UN is a shambles now and that's the only good thing to come
of this.

There had better be a physical "smoking gun" for me to consider the very
option of thinking about starting a war.  And if there is another way of
achieving the same ends without loss of life, I'm going to opt for that one.

But there isn't any such way. Pay now or pay later. How many starved Iraqi
babies are worth one Iraqi soldier killed in battle?

That doesn't make this war correct. It's not our problem, not our job to
stop Hussein. Let someone else deal with it.