 Off-Topic / Debate / 19645
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:36:56 GMT

I'm sort of not following you here, Chris.

That sense of insecurity is not the way people should live.  We felt it and
knew it to be wrong.  Why don't we know it to be wrong for others?  Hell is
raining out of the sky in Iraq.  Neither Palestinians nor Israelis are secure.
Essentially no one on the continent of Africa is secure.  A billion Chinese
are insecure.  Who is secure in Latin America?  These people live a life
trapped in the horror that we experienced for a morning.

Have we done anything to help increase security for anyone,
ourselves included?

I don't know if we *have* but some think we *can*...see

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=19514

which gives a link making the argument that working to overthrow tyrants is
useful.

Again, I'm not sure I agree with that writer's view. Do you? What do you
think could be done to bring peace and freedom to those currently oppressed?

I know for sure it's not done by getting in bed with one tyrant to balance
off another, like what we seem to have done so many times.

Yet it's clear to me that the world is a safer and freer place now that the
US won the cold war (for the benefit of all), than it was back then.