 Off-Topic / Debate / 1961
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:09:11 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote
Well, our legal system is a little flakey.  I'm not interested in
reforming criminals, or deterrance when it comes to executing capital
criminals.  I'm interested in executing them.  If potential capital
offenders have so little fear of our legal system that the fact that
someone was just executed for murder doesn't deter them, so be it.  We
can execute them too.

Um, Mike, at some point crims have to say "what do I have left to lose",
and there had better be something. Otherwise we're going to see a lot
more dead cops at the very least. Or you let cops do a Judge Dredd.

It's a bit tricky - on the one hand crims tend to see stretches inside
as no real deterrent, but on the other paw if any violation results
in execution why not go all out to escape capture? France at the time
of Les Miserables (the revolution) and England at the time of Dickens
are examples of a Libertarian system based on executing criminals
that were not worth using for hard labour. Many of the problems of
those systems have yet to be addressed by Libertarian political
theory.

Moz