 Off-Topic / Debate / 1948
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:14:33 GMT

Tom McDonald <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote in message

IIRC Catholicism holds that these souls will go to purgatory to be
evaluated further.

Off-hand, that sounds works-based.

Well, I've talked to a lot of old school Catholics, and they're pretty bent
on the works side of salvation.  I think it's leftovers from the
counter-reformation.  To put the best spin on the view that I can (as a
non-Catholic), those who are good and do good would naturally recognize and
accept Christ if they knew Him, so in the end when they are given a last
chance to accept or reject Christ, they will gladly accept Him.  They don't
like the "one life, one chance" idea.

Others would argue that they never became accountable for their actions, as
they never were exposed to Christ.  But Paul seems to think that man is so
bad anyway that he (or his conscience) condemns himself with or without God.

Jesse