 Off-Topic / Debate / 19451
19450  |  19452
Subject:
Light topic (ish...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:19:08 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/03/17/offbeat.dog.ad.reut/index.html

In which people voiced concern over a television commercial and the company
pulled said commercial off the airwaves.

In this commercial a dog, via computer finess, is seen coming out of a
persons mouth, signifying 'dog breath' in the morning.

Some folks found this visual disgusting and/or frightening...

Whilst we are on the topic of frightening commercials that I'd like to see
banned from the airwaves (or at least redone to remove offensive bits...)

This new "Willard" movie promo, with the rats...

I don't have a phobia of rats... not ever...

But the one scene where the woman is just about to seat herself on the can
(and the inference that there's rats in the bowl of the toilet...)

That just freaks me out...

Is like when you read in the paper folks 'doing their stuff' and a snake
comes poking up out of the bowl..

Gaaah!!!

But I won't be calling up the studios to complain, mind you.  I think the
only time I ever saw something offensive enuf to write in about (but I was
too young to know better) was the time a 'horror flick' (i can't even
remember the name it was so long ago) had in their promo a shot of a guy in
a santa suit roaming around the house with a knife.  Actually, all you saw
was this red and white sleeve, hand, and huge knife--the camera was
following right behind the arm as 'psycho guy' wanders thru the house...  I
think there was enuf of a protest against that one to pull it from the airwaves.

That movie a few years back that had, as shown in the promo, guys (jocks)
lieing down on the highway on the dotted lines as traffic went screaming
by...  that was pulled due to college kids emulating...

Frightening 8 year olds with psycho santa suit guy is one thing--pulling ads
because some college kids emulate the activity is completely different--if
you're in college, you're more than likely an adult and know better.  Should
we ban 'Animal House' cause it leads college kids to drink and party in excess?

Where the First Ammendment is concerned--protect the kids--the adults should
have enuf 'wherewithall' to take care of themselves.

Hence I won't actively seek to ban the Willard ad--I'll just not look at the
telly when its on :)

Dave K