 Off-Topic / Debate / 19430
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:40:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky writes:

This guy really touched a nerve with me.  As a military member I know that
we do what we're told and the consequences of not doing that is severe
punishment including possible jail time.  The writer of the article above
essentially states that because our leaders are wrong, all military members
are wrong.  This is like holding children accountible for the sins of thier
parents.  I say support our *troops*, even if you don't agree or condone the
*war*.  These men and women are people too, not demonic minions.

Are not the consequences of doing what you're told also severe?  Obviously, I
don't know anything about what you do for the services, so this is
hypothetical.  But after enacting butchery on countless innocents, you will
have a lifetime to ruminate.  Which is worse: that free time or a little
jail time?

I happen to agree with the writer in question.  Every person who does wrong is
individually culpable.  Having been told to do so under threat is something,
but pretty little, in the way of mitigating circumstance.  If you're riding a
bus and a guy behind you sticks a gun in your ear and tells you to strangle the
child next to you, do you do it just because the consquences are severe?  What
if the guy behind you is your dad?

This is not holding kids accountable for parents', or anyone else's actions.
Each person will be liable for their own actions only.  A friend of mine went
to Viet Nam and killed innocent people because he was ordered to.  He feels bad
about it and I've never heard him blame the orders or his government -- just
the weak dumb kid that he was a long, long time ago.

This is precisely why our soldiers are kids...they're willing to do stuff that
people who've had a little timew to think it over are not.  They come tumbling
out of highschool topsy-turvy with the years of state sponsored political
brainwashing that every kid in America gets sloshing around in their heads and
they are much more likely to say things like "I say support our *troops*, even
if you don't agree or condone the *war*."  Even things like "America, love it
or leave it.  (which I said when I was 17.)"  Waiting even five years would
change levels of participation dramatically.

These men and women (not demonic minions, I agree -- that would depersonalize
this) are about to commit murder on our behalf.  And they won't all be coming
home.  And for what?  The lies and riches of fat-cat thugs running the largest
banana republic in the world!  I certainly wouldn't have any part of it (I
mean, except for sitting at home and funding it -- April 15th approaches)  :-(

Good luck,

Chris