 Off-Topic / Debate / 19286
Re: Religious bigotry = Patriotism, say State Representatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:45:34 GMT

In a similar vein...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/03/05/offbeat.peace.arrest.reut/index.html

in which a man was arrested for wearing a 'peace' t-shirt...

I'm thinking there has to be more to the story than just what's there--Mall
security wouldn't walk up to anyone in a t shirt and try to kick them out of
the mall because they just didn't like the message on the shirt--I remember
some of the shirts from old heavy metal groups... ;)

So what gives?  Freedom of expression is outlawed, even in the form of the
shirts we choose to wear?

Yeah, there's slightly more to the story... a history really... (quickie
summary) Sounds like back in December there were a bunch of quasi-protesters
who decided they'd walk around the mall at Christmas time wearing
peace/anti-war garb, just to make a statement. They weren't marching or
picketing or handing out flyers or pestering anyone actively (it sounds
like), but just walking around.

Anyway, the mall decided (most likely) that it didn't want to be the hotbed
for a potential incident, and so had the people removed semi-forcibly:

http://www.albany.edu/~mg2300/doc/news/Crossgates_Protest.html
http://nycap.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=4148&group=webcast

My guess is that they didn't want a similar situation again, and security
was probably under orders to toss out anyone wearing anti-war paraphanelia
after the event happened. And chances are this guy was being a jerk about
it. Simple truth is that it IS private property and they CAN evict you for
no good reason.

Of course, if they build up a reputation for this sort of thing, I'll bet
good money that people will stop shopping there. Now they're in the news for
being jerks about evicting people rather than being in the news as the site
of an anti-war sentiment. Don't think this is one of those "any press is
good press" situations :) Oh well.

DaveE