 Off-Topic / Debate / 1915
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:59:06 GMT

Does that make it right?  Why not shoot for laws that are just instead
of ones that reflect popular opinion?

and who decides what is "just"... that is still a perception, subjective,
something that can be defined by one's own opinion (or the agreed opinions of
many, aka: "public opinion")...
personally i think cops can start roadside executions for people who slow down
for their exit at the county freakin line.. sounds just to me... but i'm a
little extreme... certain countries of the world believe in caning, we
americans (well, some of us) don't feel that's just punishment for any crime...
yet we (in some states) support the death penalty... other countries do not...
why?? because it's a question of what people in said contries consider
"just"... there is no benchmark here... no matter what you look at in the
world, you are looking at it through your own eyes, your own affectations...
there may be a higher truth out there, a true definition of "just".. but there
is no way you can get 5 billion people to agree on it due to their own
circumstances.. what you *can* get is smaller groups of people (150 million or
so) *mostly* agreeing on what is "just"... and that's exactly what we have in
america.. but still, that's just another way of saying "public opnion"..

justice is in the eyes of the lawmaker... and so we already *are* making laws
we consider just

Hunh?  A) I don't think that he got off.

uhhhh.. i was watching the TV when i'm *pretty* sure i heard them say "not
guilty"... now, if you mean the way he's been treated by the public ever
since... well.. do you mean that "public opinion" shunned him??... please..
it's one thing to be ousted from the limelight, and another to ride the
lightning like any other (black) man in LA would have for murdering a white
woman and a young white man

B) I don't think it had
anything to do with public opinion.  There was a trial.

i restate the above paragraph in response to that one.. yeah, there was a
trial.. and it was <Sarcasm>identical</Sarcasm> to every other murder trial in
LA... please, we'll sooner see the pope punch a nun than see a glorified
football hero get the chair in america