 Off-Topic / Debate / 1916
1915  |  1917
Subject:
Tax levels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:21:34 GMT

OK - I'm curious. How do the tax rates compare in
the different countries?

In the UK,  the first roughly US$6000 we earn is
tax free for an individual person ($9000 for a married
couple).

The next $2000 is taxed at 10%.
The next $40000 is taxed at 23%
Everything you earn beyond that is taxed at $40%

(Note these figures are all approximate, since tax laws
are very complex, and besides I've done approximate
£ -> $ conversions)

In addition we pay VAT (equivalent to your sales tax) at
17.5% on most goods from shops (thought there are
a lot of exempt goods. Small businesses and charities
don't pay VAT either). We never normally notice the VAT
since that's absorbed into the price: Prices in shops
normally include VAT - I think that's not the case in the USA?)

There are particularly high taxes on things like petrol and
cigarettes - things the Government is trying to discourage us
from buying.

Average (mean) salary here is about $30000. (Since that's the
mean, most salaries will be below that. $20000 is probs
more typical for one individual. On the other hand, most
households will have more than one salary coming in).

Health care is free - that's paid for out of taxes.
(apart from a small charge for dentists
and opticians treatment, and for prescriptions). Apart from
that I can't think of any major differences I know of between
things we have to pay for and things in the US (how much does
private health insurance there cost?)

So come on someone - how does that compare? What's
the equivalent figures elsewhere?

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com