 Off-Topic / Debate / 1912
Re: Cra pollution[ was: Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:29:38 GMT

Simon Robinson wrote in message
<016301bef0f9$aed3ed80$c029fea9@robinson1tesco.net>...
'Despite several searches, I can't find the message this is supposed
to be in reply to - so I'll just have to start a new thread]

Environment-friendly as it may seem, insane gasoline taxes to
subsidize inefficient public transport do not reduce pollution
per se.

True. You really need three things for that. [1] High petrol taxes,
[2] Decent public transport, and [3] A Government that's prepared
to risk some unpopularity by telling people bluntly about the problems
caused by overuse of cars, and taking measures to encourage people
to use alternative transport and to save energy.

And despite the increased gas consumption caused by emission-control
devices, I'd say gas mileage on cars (I can't speak for SUVs that
are trucks by law) here is pretty good, too.
What's your average large family saloon (Granada 2.9, maybe?)
use?

Most modern cars in the UK are *claimed* by the manufacturers to do
40-45 mpg. A few years ago it started being illegal to make a new
car without fitting a catalytic converter. Every year, all cars over 3 • years
old
have to be checked for safety (the 'MOT') - and the checks include quite
strict
emissions tests. The Government is also in the process of changing the way
cars are taxed so that you have to pay less for ones with smaller engines.
(Frustratingly, my car is 1117cc, which is just 17cc too big to qualify for
the
lower tax!)

How does that compare with the USA?

   Not like you seem to think.  First, catalytic convertors have been
required for over 20 years (is that what you mean by a few?).  Second many
states have emissions tests that are quite strict, and have had those for
years.  Finally, we have had a luxury tax and a gas guzzler tax that applies
to luxury cars with V8 or bigger cars, or even cars that are unnecessarily
expensive, even if they do OK environmentally.  The fact that we aren't
taxed as harshly as you in all walks of life makes it possible for a high
percentage of the people here to afford to drive, even with all these auto
taxes, whereas your people can't afford a vehicle after paying their
numerous (and high) taxes.
   There are politicains who are going way too far (in most American's
opinions) regarding raising the cost of driving and owning vehicles.  Such
as, if your car doesn't pass the emission test, it becomes state property -
do they do that anywhere else?
--
   Have fun!
   John