 Off-Topic / Debate / 18945
Re: Dubya and Osama--Separated at Birth?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:48:45 GMT

Game 1--You choose the power that said it!

I heard they were twins once before:

The algebra of infinite justice
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4266289,00.html
==+==
But who is Osama bin Laden really? Let me rephrase that. What is Osama bin
Laden? He's America's family secret. He is the American president's dark
doppelganger. The savage twin of all that purports to be beautiful and
civilised. He has been sculpted from the spare rib of a world laid to waste by
America's foreign policy: its gunboat diplomacy, its nuclear arsenal, its
vulgarly stated policy of "full-spectrum dominance", its chilling disregard for
non-American lives, its barbarous military interventions, its support for
despotic and dictatorial regimes, its merciless economic agenda that has
munched through the economies of poor countries like a cloud of locusts. Its
marauding multinationals who are taking over the air we breathe, the ground we
stand on, the water we drink, the thoughts we think. Now that the family secret
has been spilled, the twins are blurring into one another and gradually
becoming interchangeable. Their guns, bombs, money and drugs have been going
around in the loop for a while. (The Stinger missiles that will greet US
helicopters were supplied by the CIA. The heroin used by America's drug addicts
comes from Afghanistan. The Bush administration recently gave Afghanistan a
$43m subsidy for a "war on drugs"....)
==+==

It's rather dated now, but still a good read. The last para still works even
today:

==+==
President Bush's ultimatum to the people of the world - "If you're not with us,
you're against us" - is a piece of presumptuous arrogance. It's not a choice
that people want to, need to, or should have to make.
==+==

Scott A