 Off-Topic / Debate / 18810
  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) At this point in time, I disagree. But in the mid-term that can happen and probably will. Mind you, that does NOT imply in any way that Europe automatically becomes an antagonist to the US! (...) ??? Do you mean anything other than the (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) (Frank Filz writes) (...) You don't feel Europe is capable of defending itself? In what sense? Conventional war in Europe itself? Or just their oversees interests? (...) I mean the whole of the 20th century. The United States was dragged into (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Both, but only the first is really important (for the second I prefer cunning diplomacy). The difficulty in the defense of Europe against any military threat has to do with the almost impossibility of establishing standards for a unified army. (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Esperanto: that will simply annoy everyone. French: the french ears will be offended by the corruption of their language! English: it would drive everyone nuts trying to figure out whether they should say Lew-ten-ant or Left-ten-ant, Kernal or (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Here's one of the many things I don't understand...

(...) Not to mention it would be a nightmare in terms of crypting; everyone already speaks English anyway :-D (...) Actually, I'm learning German. It's not even half as hard as I had thought! (ok, so it takes *time* to learn... ;-) (...) Nope. If (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)