 Off-Topic / Debate / 1873
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:37:12 GMT

Ensio Tammi wrote:
Sproaticus wrote <37C57A41.F8EBB1BC@io.com>...
<snip>
Yah, I guess the Phillipinos would have rather been content with the • Marcos'
home-grown flavor of tyranny.
Marcos' couldn't do what he did without the support and approval of the U.S.
government.

Nor the Swiss, in whose banks he has around, what, $2 billion?  But I
digress.

It's not as if the U.S. claimed the Phillipenes as a colony (1).  The
Phillipines had their own government, and Marcos didn't need permission from
us to do anything.  Plus, when he fled, he fled to a nation that immediately
put him under house arrest, froze his liquid assets, and removed what
political power they could.

U.S. is still a young nation, but hopefully it
will mature and take the responsible actions to correct the past problems it
has generated.

Yes, hopefully we will.  Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen without
the maturation of other nations involved.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Okay, so we did, but that was a long time ago.  They've been given their
independence since then.

He stands...like some sort of...PAGAN GOD or DEPOSED TYRANT.  Staring out
over the city he's sworn to...to stare out over...  And it's evident...just
by looking at him...that he's got some PRETTY HEAVY THINGS ON HIS MIND.
- Ben Edlund, 1996