 Off-Topic / Debate / 18673
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:09:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Nathan Todd writes:

SNIP of unprecedented preportions.

       Since this debate has almost trailed off and I don't forsee either
side convincing the other I'll just say one last thing.

      I think the greatest proof of God's existence, and love, are the
millions of people that believe in him.

   Hmm...  If popular opinion is all that's required to establish "proof" of
a metaphysical entity's existence, then I'd say that the Christian God had
better watch over His Shoulder.  According to one set of statistics,
Christianity can lay claim to 1.9 billion adherents, but right behind it is
Islam with 1.3 billion and Hinduism with 900 million.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/88/story_8830_1.html

By your yardstick, Islam is at least 68% as well "proven" as Christianity,
and Hinduism is about 47% as well proven.  What happens when the number of
Muslims outstrips the number of Christians?  Does the Christian God then
become "untrue" while Allah becomes King of The Mountain of Truth?  What if
301 million Christians convert to Islam?  Would that tip the Scales of
Divine Existence?

It is not an easy road and if God
wasn't real it is the last thing I would spend my time doing (I am not the
kind of person who would always have to have religion or a substitute). As
Paul said "If what we preach is not true then we are to be pitied more then
all men". The mere fact that Christianity endures despite many hardships
says more then I ever could about what people see in God and whether it's
good.

  I understand and accept your choice to withdraw from the debate, but I
thought it worthwhile to point out the flaw in your basic premiss re:
number-of-believers.  If your intent is to validate Christianity by some
statistical or scientific reasoning, it is imperative that you get your
methodology straight.
  However, if (as I suspect) you don't base your faith on majority opinion,
then you're obviously welcome to continue to believe as you choose.  But
don't think that appeals to statistics are effective evangelizing!

     Dave!