 Off-Topic / Debate / 18530
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:10:18 GMT

That's another question that's always bothered me: how can I in heaven
know infinite joy if I know that other people are suffering eternal
damnation?

Here's how I see it.  First, I'm not so sure about the eternal damnation thing.
Second, I happen to believe that hell is separation from God.  People *choose*
to  reject God, and that is hell.  They choose darkness, because of
selfishness, pride and arrogance.  Our characters are formed here on earth.

This is more or less the view of C.S. Lewis in his book _The Great Divorce_ (a
short, one-sitting read).  I found it very helpful reconciling heaven and hell.

And, if I were damned, how could my damnation be infinite if I
knew that other people are enjoying eternal bliss?  What kind of selfish
jerk would I have to be to begrudge others their reward simply because I
didn't likewise earn that reward?
The point is that the existence of either heaven or hell, along with the
respective occupants thereof, refutes the existence of the other.

What if hell were indeed merely separation from God and that people *chose*
that existence?

-John