 Off-Topic / Debate / 18463
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:31:38 GMT

I would like to see your cites. Christianity offers a few unique twists.  One
which I believe is unique is the "fully human, fully divine" status of Jesus,

Socrates was, for example, a Son of God, though I understand that that's not
quite what you meant.  (Socrates was more moral than Jesus, however).
Off the top of my head the other big one I can think of is Appollonius of
Tyre, whose name I may have misspelled, but who lived around 90 AD and was
believed by his disciples to be god-made-flesh in fulfillment of prophesy.
I'll have to look up a few others.

  Well, I had the spelling wrong, and the attribution.  The name I was
aiming for is Apollonius of Tyana.  And here are a few others:
   Pythagoras (who could bilocate, by the way)
   Simon Ben Kochba
   Empedocles
   Shabbetai Tzevi
   Orpheus
   Simon Magus
   Sun Myung Moon
   Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneorson
   David Koresh
   L. Ron Hubbard
   Jim Jones
   Abraham Miguel Cardozo
   Brother Julius Schacknow
   The God Machine of John Murray Spear

  You might protest that these weren't "real" messiahs, but on what
evidence?  I'm afraid I don't find the god-as-flesh qualification vital to
the equation, and, in my book, the god-incarnate angle nullifies the value
of the crucifixion, not to mention undercutting a number of miracles and
divine acts attributed to Jesus.  My list therefore includes a number of
individuals believed to be or self-professed to be the Messiah, or perhaps
more accurately *a* messiah.
  I would further suggest that filling out a checklist of messianic criteria
is inherently self-defeating, since it boils down to "could Superman beat up
Mighty Mouse" debate"

  "My God-incarnate is more goddish than yours."
  "No, MY God-incarnate is more goddish."

    Dave!