 Off-Topic / Debate / 18393
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:36:26 GMT

Now if someone could have been polite, and not condescending, and mentioned
to Scott that, hey, not all is as it appears (valiant effort by Larry until
the snicker), well that would have been a much better way of handling it.

Well, if it makes Scott feel any better, I failed to see the joke a year ago:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/ancient/?n=50

though in my defense I seem to recall that the stories illustrated in LEGO
up to that time were less satirical than they later became.  That's not to
say that the creativity was or is lacking or invalid--just that I didn't get
the punchline.  Which is pretty amazing considering that we all know I'm the
cleverest guy on the planet.

    Dave!

I also 'stuck my foot in it'--I was so impressed that a 'Reverend' played
with LEGO and was doing the Bible with LEGO bricks.  I went and told some of
my friends.  Then I realized, probably due to a BPS posting at the time,
that he wasn't a Christian, and he was doing the Brick Testament as more of
a study 'n such.

I wasn't hurt at all--it didn't matter to me.  What does it matter if a
person is Athiest or Christian, or whatever else?  If he or she does
something impressive, I'm going to be duly impressed.  I appreciated Larry's
mountain that he posted a few days ago--why would that appreciation differ
if I know Larry is an athiest?  In the end, the work stands on its own.  If
it's good, and it's something I like, I'll say just that.

For me, the idea that a non-God believing person is putting alot of effort
in detailing what he reads in the Bible with LEGO is also very interesting.
It gives me, as a Christian, an outside perspective to what I read--maybe,
just maybe, there's another way of interpreting the good book that all these
Christian type folks hadn't thought of or seen 'cause they're too close to
the subject.  Maybe RBPS can help me (and hopefully other Christians) read
the Bible in a clearer light.  That's not what I expect, nor is it the
reason I like The Brick Testament, but it is a possibility.

Keep up the great work, RBPS!

Dave K.
(though LEGO was mentioned alot in the post, I'm leaving it in 'off-topic')