 Off-Topic / Debate / 1838
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:45:59 GMT

Ed Jones wrote (in several different posts):

I am appalled that you find the National Endowmnet of the Arts
a waste of taxpayer money.

Apparently you didn't get your money's worth from the other NEA either,
I see a typo in there somewhere. <grins, ducks and runs, t7pos are a
cheap shot, not worthy of an opponent of Ed's calibre>

Hey, I'm still typing one handed, give me a break (sorry, the right arm is
broke and ya can;t break it again - actually not broke, just unusable due to a
pinched nerve)

But seriously, it IS a waste. See my thread a while back about art being
worth what a willing buyer will pay for it. The art the NEA funds
doesn't seem to have any willing buyers (else why would they fund it?),
so it must indeed be worthless. Please explain what could be more of a
waste than spending our money on worthless goods?

Not wanting to go into the Libertarian debate of "earning your keep", the
majority of those with a poor opinion of the NEA got it from Helms and the
others who focused on a few artists who received a minisucle amount of the
endowments funds.  The NEA mostly funds local arts groups, symphonies, dance,
opera, concerts, as well as special performances for children that would be
unavailable without that funding.  They also provide funding to PBS.  As most
American schools have now cut or removed their art and music programs, very few
children would have any exposure to the arts without the NEA grants. Ex: the
Metropolitan Opera has a traveling program to introduce children to opera that
is partially funded by the NEA.  Is that an example of the waste that you see?