 Off-Topic / Debate / 1837
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:13:05 GMT

<FH0z76.FnM@lugnet.com> <FH2vtD.A01@lugnet.com> <FH33sH.M82@lugnet.com>

Very quickly (because John DiR is doing fine)

I don't THINK what I was outlining as a justification for my morals was
utilitarianism. I don't know utilitarianism well enough to be sure, but
it sounds too pragmatic... no underlying principle other than "if it
feels good, do it".

But what I read here makes me think I (or whoever) chose life-affirming
poorly as a meme here.

What I was trying to convey is that moral systems where we acknowledge
that everyone else has rights too are more advanced, work better, and
are more internally self consistent, as well as flowing from the basic
premise that we are to live by our wits, not our claws, because those
are the tools we have, much more cleanly.

I SAID it was an argument imperfectly reproduced.

To me it just seems to go without saying (it's obvious, or a revealed
truth <grin> if you prefer) that everyone has the capacity to be good
unless they are defective to the point of not being human any more, and
everyone has rights and we need to structure things to honor those
rights and allow people to be good. So when asked to justify that I'm on
a bit shakier ground than when I am deriving things from that premise...
everything else I hold true is built on that one premise!!!

I can argue the negative which is that to say that others do not have
rights always and unavoidably leads a person to initiating force, and
that's just wrong. We humans, unlike tigers, have the tools we need to
survive without initiating force against sentients, and therefore to do
so is counter survival.

Gotta run.

lugnet.