 Off-Topic / Debate / 1832
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:46:40 GMT

Maybe I'm just having a bad day...

Ensio Tammi wrote:
<skip>
PS.  Why don't Europeans like us?  I've heard this before, but never
understood why.
Try to explain to an European what the creationists are doing right now in
the Kansas, for example?

huh?

What, growing wheat?  It's a disgrace, I know, but SOMEONE has to rake in
the big bucks...

We have to go centuries back when church (religion)
has such a power here (at least in the Northern Europe).

Such a shame.  The world is much more flavorful when you mix in a good
dosage of religion with secularism.  Makes for better sit-coms, too.

How bout the late shooting issues in kinder kardens and schools?

<SARCASM>
They were pre-schoolers, actually.  And it's funny how the news in Europe
always neglects to mention the ice-picks, chain-saws, and vials of anthrax.
</SARCASM>

How about the recent mass-murderer loose in Germany?  How about the guy who
freaked out a couple of weeks back in England, stabbing an elderly man
(fatally) and a father and child (grievously) in a random fashion?  How
about the recent shooting war in Kosovo?  It's my understanding that these
phenomenon are not restricted to the U.S.

How many years it has passed when all U.S. citizens got equal rights?

(again I must exclaim)  huh?

How many years since?  Well, it's a process, you see.  By some peoples'
definition, we started the ball rolling around 1776-ish, gave it a good kick
around the 1860s, nudged it again in the 1960s, and in general have been
facing a series of achievements and setbacks ever since.  Now, for folks on
the other side of the puddle, I can think back to more recent events in
Europe where basic human rights were fairly expensive...

Cheers,
- jsproat

--
Jeremy H. Sproat <jsproat@io.com>