 Off-Topic / Debate / 18253
Re: Vote against/for...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:56:29 GMT

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> writes:

Actually, the bomb was dropped to scare the Japanese, thus ending
the war. I don't see that as terrorism, though - terrorism implies
a much more prolonged chain of events than a couple weeks in August
'45.

The two atomic bomb raids were not the only US bomb raids on Japan
during the second world war.  US low level incendiary bomb raids
started much earlier.  The aim of the night time bomb raids were the
civillian population, which largely lived in houses composed out of
wood and paper.  Some estimates indicate that these fire bomb raids
killed as many civillians as the two atomic bombs combined, but over a
much longer time span.  The bomb raids were designed to lower enemy
morale and productivity.

Some quotes:

    "Estimates of economic damage ecpected indicate that incendiary
    attack on Japanese cities may be at least five times as effective,
    ton for ton, as precision bombing [...] However, the dry economic
    statistics, impressive as they may be, still do not take account
    of the further and unpredictable effect on the Japanese war effort
    of a national catastrophe of such magnitude- entirely
    unprecedented in history."  -- Office of Scientific Research and
    Development recommendation, Fall '44

    "There are no innocent civilians.  It is their government and you
    are fighting a people, you are not trying to fight an armed force
    anymore.  So it doesn't bother me so much to be killing innocent
    bystanders."  -- General Lemay

    "The entire population of Japan is a proper military target [...]
    There are no civilians in Japan."  -- 5th Air Force Weekly
    Intelligence Review, July '45

(Quotes from Michael Sherry, "The rise of American Airpower", Yale
University Press, New Haven, Conn., 1987.)

I think that this is closer to terrorism.

Fredrik