 Off-Topic / Debate / 18158
Re: A word to the international community... (Re: Vote against/for...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:52:21 GMT

If I hear of one more Hollywood star say in a press conference in Europe that
they hate America, I'm think I'm going to puke!

  Who has said this?  Name the star, and give the citation.

I don't deny their right to say it, I just question their motivation,
intelligence, and lack of character for saying it.

  The fact that you are unable to imagine a dissenting view by an
intelligent, well-motivated person of good character is a fantastic
indicator that you yourself are either of low intelligence or poor character
or both.

Is it the judgment you don't like, or the fact that the USA is being judged?

It is the fact that [the world has] no moral right to do so, and that they are
hypocrites besides (because God forbid that the conseratives should take a
moral stand-- *that's* being "judgmental")

  So you're saying that no one in the world has a moral right to judge (ie,
to take a stand) except conservatives?  I would counter that everyone not
only has a moral right to judge others' actions; we all have a moral *duty*
do to so.  But the moral compass shouldn't be read straight out of a
two-millennium old book.

Perhaps Bush should jail anyone who speaks against him/the USA? Do you think
that would solve the problem?

That may be how you do it where you're from; not where I'm from.

John, in fact that is exactly how they do it where you're from.  Check out
the articles linked from this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=18104

And those are just a few examples I could find.  I expect there are others,
such as those individuals jailed for the high crime of being of Middle
Eastern decent.

     Dave!