 Off-Topic / Debate / 17813
Re: For Those That *Don't Get* the 2nd Amendement (was Re: Those stupid liberal)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:03:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Speaking of faulty notions... Name me one country, past or present, where ONLY
the police and armed services were allowed to have guns, that is NOT a
dictatorship.

In fairness, England must be damned close to total gun control.  I know it's
not total but lack the details -- perhaps Scott or someone else can supply
further details.

While seeing what google would cough up on it, I found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/1440764.stm

This is from the intro portion only:

"A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two
years after the weapons were banned. The research, commissioned by the
Countryside Alliance's Campaign for Shooting, has concluded that existing
laws are targeting legitimate users of firearms rather than criminals."

Seems like the bias was to please the people that commissioned the research,
not that I disagree with the conclusion reached myself.

-- Hop-Frog